This will be my 10th year participating in the Pelindaba Lavender festival. No sooner does one festival end, I begin collecting and testing recipe ideas for the following year. I am looking forward to sharing new recipes and combinations of flavors and of course a few tried and true favorites.
Over the years, Mother Nature has thrown us a few curves – a wind storm that blew so hard we couldn’t keep anything secure, and another when the yellow jackets were so numerous their buzz nearly over powered my voice or the year it was so cold that we sipped lavender hot cocoa all weekend. No matter what the challenge, at the end of the weekend the memory that is omnipresent for me is the spectrum of purple colored flowers that are lined up row after row in a seemingly endless field. After a weekend of breathing the intoxicating aroma, I return to the Inn rejuvenated and relaxed without a care in the world. We look forward to your joining us on July 19th and 20th for this summer’s festival.
Tours and exhibits survey the entire process – from field to finished product. The fields are open for strolling, relaxing and breathtaking photo ops. The Cutting Field is open for visitors to harvest their own bouquets of certified organic lavender from the many varieties in bloom. The Craft Tent is open all day long in the fields for adults and children to make beautiful wands, wreaths, crowns and more. Be sure to enter the coloring contest! The Lavender Lemonade and Lavender Iced Tea and Coffee are always big hits – not to mention their Lavender Cookies! Island-style picnic lunches will be available all day long in the fields.
Be sure to top off your picnic with our ever popular Lavender Ice Cream!
There is plenty to do at the festival:
- Stroll through our organically certified fields.
- Browse the over 240 lavender products handcrafted on the farm at the lovely Gatehouse Farm Store.
- Explore the Demonstration Garden where they cultivate over 50 different varieties of lavender.
- Educate yourself at the Visitor Center which features multi-media exhibits covering the history of the farm, lavender cultivation, processing of essential oil, and the many roles that lavender has played in cultures throughout the world. Audio Tours of the farm are also available.
- Experience the Craft Workshop where you can make your own beautiful lavender crafts.
- Harvest your own organic lavender bouquets in the Cutting Field.
- Select some lavender plants to take home for your own garden from the Nursery.
- Listen to music wafting through the fields
- Watch chef demos showing you how to incorporate lavender into uniquely tasty dishes. Anna Maria de Freitas, owner of Coho Restaurant will make an appearance again this year; her demonstrations are always over-the-top, with lots of tasty samples. Join her at 12:30 and 2 p.m. each day.
Be sure to bring your sunscreen and camera! Please note, pets and smoking are only allowed in the grounds outside of our organically certified fields.
Admission: Free; parking is also free
Date & Time: July 19 & 20, 10am – 5pm
Location: Pelindaba Lavender Farm,