Biscuits and Browned Butter Gravy with a Northwest Flair
Biscuit Benedict with Browned Butter Cream Cheese Gravy, Canadian Bacon, Tillamook Cheddar and a Poached Egg.
1/2 cup cold European Butter or leaf lard, cut into small chunks
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1 Tbsp. sugar or honey
1 cup milk or cultured milk (yogurt, milk kefir, buttermilk)
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Method – Makes 12 Biscuits
- Dough should ferment at least 7 hours or overnight before baking the biscuits.
- Cut the fat into the flour until it is in small pieces. Stir in sourdough starter, sweetener, and milk until soft dough just comes together. Cover and place in a warm spot to ferment for 7-12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- When ready to bake the biscuits, combine salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl until mixed. Sprinkle mixture over the fermented dough and knead until it comes together into a cohesive, soft mass.
- Roll or pat the dough until 1/2 inch thick. Cut with 2 or 3-inch biscuit cutter or in squares and place the biscuits on a baking sheet close together but not quite touching.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown on the top and bottom.
Browned Butter and Cream Cheese Gravy
4 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/3 c. whole milk
5 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Method – Makes About 2 Cups
- Heat butter over a sauce pan on medium high heat for 5 – 7 minutes until butter begins to foam. Watch carefully as lightly browned specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan. Once the butter has a nutty aroma whisk in the flour.
- Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in 1/3 cup of milk and the cream cheese until smooth. Add additional milk and increase heat to medium.
- Continue to whisk until desired thickness and add salt and pepper to taste.
Toppings & Garnish
Farm Raised Eggs
Sliced Tillamook Cheddar
Diced Red Pepper
- Slice Biscuit Open biscuit, layering cheese and meat. Place in the oven to melt the cheese. Bake for 10 minutes. At about 8 minutes, begin poaching eggs
- Once the eggs are done, place egg on top of the meat and then biscuit and cover with gravy.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and diced red pepper.