We bake cookies every day for our two-legged guests, and developed these wholesome treats for our many canine guests. They are delivered to the guest rooms along with people-cookies, and the heart shape makes them perfect for this special remembrance of love, though you can be sure your four-legged friend will love them in ANY shape.
Makes 60 Biscuits
3 ½ cups chicken or meat broth
1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
½ cup milk powder
3 egg whites for glaze (or cream, egg mixed with water, whole milk, etc.)
1. Heat the broth until lukewarm. Pour into a large bowl; stir in the yeast and allow it to dissolve. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 300°F. Stir in flours, cornmeal and milk powder using a food processor or the dough hook of an electric mixer. This is a stiff dough; add more broth if necessary to get the dough to a texture that can be rolled easily.
3. Dust a large area of the counter top with rice flour or all-purpose flour. Roll dough to ¼- inch thick; cut into heart or other shapes with cookie cutters. Re-roll until all dough is cut
4. Brush biscuits with egg whites.
5. Bake on greased cookie sheets for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and leave cookie sheets in overnight to finish hardening.