Note: We’re celebrating the season with a special #Christmas2020 holiday cookie countdown! We’re offering a wide variety of take-and-bake cookies plus special ready-to-eat breads via the San Juan Islands Food Hub this holiday season. Create the perfect cookie tray at home or send them to friends and family! If you miss the Food Hub deadline to order, call us directly at (360) 378-3587 to place orders until December 18 for pickup December 21-26 or order by December 25 for pickup December 28-January 2.
Butter spritz cookies are a favorite of both young and old alike. The nostalgic memories of waking up to a colorful plate of butter spritz cookies on Christmas morning is one that will live on for many holidays to come. Butter spritz cookies are perfect for dipping in hot cocoa, tea, or even your morning coffee. There’s nothing wrong with a cookie or two alongside a healthy breakfast! It’s all about balance, right? These cookies are easy to make. There is no wait for chilling the dough or time required for rolling out the dough to form Christmas shapes. All that is required is to mix the ingredients and put the dough into a cookie press. These sweet little cookies bake in under ten minutes, too! Get your baking supplies and all the sprinkles ready to start making your butter spritz treats…
1 c softened butter
1 c sugar
2 c all-purpose flour
2 ½ tsp cardamom
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until it has a pale and fluffy consistency. Add the egg and continue mixing until incorporated.
3. Add the flour, cardamom, salt, and vanilla to the butter mixture. Mix all ingredients together until the dough forms a ball.
4. Spoon dough into your cookie press. Press your cookies out onto the prepared baking sheets. Repeat until your dough is gone. The cookie press comes with different shapes, so choose one for all of your cookies or try a variety of shapes.
5. Once your cookies are shaped, decorate with sprinkles of your choice. Keep them simple and elegant or go wild. It is up to you.
6. Bake for 5 minutes, rotate sheets, and bake for another 4 minutes. Allow to cool completely.