Note: We’re celebrating the season with a special #Christmas2020 holiday cookie countdown! We’re offering a wide variety of take-and-bake cookies plus special ready-to-eat breads via the San Juan Islands Food Hub this holiday season. Create the perfect cookie tray at home or send them to friends and family! If you miss the Food Hub deadline to order, call us directly at (360) 378-3587 to place orders until December 18 for pickup December 21-26 or order by December 25 for pickup December 28-January 2.
Thumbprint cookies are one of the most classic Christmas cookies in our recipe books. These cookies have a delicate shortbread base and warm jam center. They’re everything you want in a cookie and you’ll keep going back for more. Who’s counting? It’s the holidays.
Some recipes for thumbprint cookies recommend baking the cookie dough before adding the jam. We prefer to add the jam before you bake. This way the jam gets nice and warm and bakes into the dough. These cookies are so simple yet delicious! If you’re staying at the Tucker House Inn & Harrison House Suites this holiday season, you just might find one of these delicious cookies waiting for you upon arrival.
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c butter, softened
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp almond extract
1/3 c jam, for filling cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Using a stand mixer or in a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Mix in egg and almond extract, then add dry ingredients in batches until incorporated.
4. Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, scoop balls onto prepared baking sheets. Press a thumbprint into center of each ball, 1/2” deep. Fill with a small spoonful of jam.
5. Bake for 14 minutes or until edges are golden.
6. Allow to cool completely on a rack and enjoy.