Makes 8, 1 cup Servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 6-7 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup peeled and minced ginger root
- 1½ Tbsp curry powder
- 1 hot chili pepper (dried or fresh), minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced sweet red bell pepper
- 5 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 2 cusps dried lentils, washed
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- Juice of one lime
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced
- Finely ground sea salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and sauté for 15 minutes, until vegetables are soft and translucent.
2. Add curry powder, and hot pepper, carrots, bell pepper, and sweet potatoes. Sauté another 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Add coconut milk, lentils, and stock. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until lentils are done and sweet potatoes are tender, approximately 45 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Add lime juice and cilantro; season with salt to taste and serve..
This soup is a spicy, colorful blend of curry, coconut, and sweet potatoes, bursting with aromas and flavors.
The recipe was given to my by one of my musician friends, Cindy Rosenberg. Our garden produced a bumper crop of butternut squash and she provided this recipe as a solution. You can substitute butternut squash for the sweet potatoes.