Makes 32 3-inch cookies
genre: vegetarian, gluten free, nut free, soy free
- 1 lb. 5 oz bittersweet or couverture chocolate (72% or higher), chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. instant espresso granules, finely ground
- 5 oz. European unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup high-quality chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt bittersweet chocolate in double boiler and mix until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Beat eggs and vanilla together. Add espresso. Let stand until coffee is dissolved.
- Beat butter and sugars in standing mixer with paddle attachment mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg mixture and chocolate and mix until combined. Scrape bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and chocolate chips. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and let dough sit for 30 minutes until fudge-like consistency.
- Scoop cookies using 3 oz. scoop onto silicon- or parchment-lined baking sheet. Press down to form a disc. Freeze for 20 minutes or until ready to bake.
- Space cookies 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes until edges are set, centers will still be soft, rotating the baking sheets front to back and top to bottom halfway through the baking time. Do not overbake. (Cookies will continue to cook on baking sheet when removed from the oven.) Allow to cool.
Gluten free: substitute your favorite gluten free all purpose flour and add 1 tsp xanthum gum.