Green Cardamom and Cranberry Sorbet
(perfect for a palate cleanser between courses or as a savory dessert)
1-1/2 lbs. fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed and any stems removed
1-1/2 c. sugar
1-1/2 c. water
1/2 c. orange juice
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. Triple Sec
1 tsp. green cardamom ground with mortar and pestle
1. Make a simple syrup by adding the sugar, water and cardamom and bringing to a boil. When the sugar has dissolved, add the cranberries and orange juice.
2. Continue to boil until the cranberries burst, about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Let the mixture cool. Puree in a food processor or blender and strain.
4. Stir in the lemon juice and liqueur.
5. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and let completely cool.
6. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Lodging and Dining Friday Harbor, WA San Juan Island
Harrison House Suites and Tucker House Inn