Sunny beaches, breathtaking scenery, quaint & charming towns, and luxurious accommodations. There are so many wonderful things to do in the San Juan Islands, and it’s all easily reachable from our Inns. Whether you’re here seeking adventure or relaxation, you’ll find that the mellow island vibe here offers a healthy mix of both. It’s all easier than ever to access when you stay with us at the Tucker House Inn and Harrison House Suites, too.
Our Inns are located in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, one of the four islands serviced by the San Juan Islands Ferry. When you choose to stay with us, you’re choosing a warm and welcoming environment with attentive hospitality, exquisite accommodations, and excellent dining, all within walking distance of the bustling & quaint port city of Friday Harbor. The Tucker House Inn and Harrison House Suites provide an unparalleled escape, where you’re free to explore all of the extraordinary things to do in the San Juan Islands. Book your summer getaway with us today!
The Best Things to do in the San Juan Islands
Whether you want to spend your days adventuring around the islands or relaxing under the summer sun, there are plenty of wonderful things to do in the San Juan Islands. Each island offers a unique experience, too, and island hopping is fairly easy to do, not to mention unbelievably scenic. Long sunny days are waiting for you. Get ready for your trip with these 10 fun things to do in the San Juan Islands this summer.
- If you want to get outside and experience the beauty of nature while on vacation, take a hike. It’s one of the most popular things to do in the San Juans, and given the rewarding views at the end of most hikes, we’re not surprised. From rocky bluffs to driftwood-strewn beaches, there are plenty of great hikes to take in the San Juans. Some of our personal favorites include Mount Finlayson, English Camp, and Lime Kiln State Park on San Juan Island. We’re also happy to recommend other island hikes for you, including Mount Constitution on Orcas Island.
- We’re just about to enter peak whale watching season, which stretches from May through September. Throughout the season, you can expect to see transient orcas and other migrating whales. There are a number of tour operators in the Friday Harbor area, but we recommend San Juan Safaris, San Juan Outfitters, Western Prince Cruises, San Juan Excursions, and Maya’s Legacy Charters.
- If you’re short on time but still want to see some whales, head to Lime Kiln Point State Park. It’s often referred to as “whale watch park” thanks to the excellent opportunities for wildlife viewing there! It’s also home to the beautiful Lime Kiln Lighthouse, which is worth seeing in its own right.
- We are on an island, which means getting out on the water is a quintessential part of the San Juan experience. Sailing is one of the most popular things to do in the San Juan Islands. If you don’t have your own boat, you can book a sailing adventure with companies like All Aboard Sailing, NW Sailing Adventures, or Friday Harbor Cruises.
- Sailing isn’t the only way to enjoy the water. The San Juans also happen to be an exceptional kayaking destination. There are several guided kayaking trips that leave from Friday Harbor. We recommend the following tour companies: Crystal Seas Kayaking, San Juan Outfitters, Outdoor Odysseys, Discovery Sea Kayaks, Sea Quest, and San Juan Kayak Expeditions.
- Get a taste of the San Juans at local wineries, cideries, breweries, and distilleries! Visiting different tasting rooms makes for a wonderful island-hopping adventure if you’re looking to see more than just San Juan Island, too.
- Let us pack you a picnic, so you can head to a cozy spot on the beach. It’s one of our favorite lazy-day things to do in the San Juan Islands. We’d love to recommend you a few of our favorite local (and less crowded) spots, too!
- Stick close to the Inns and explore the charming port town of Friday Harbor. There is plenty of things to do in Friday Harbor, including visiting the San Juan Islands Museum of Art, browsing the various shops and art galleries, dining at wonderful restaurants like our own Coho Restaurant, and so much more.
- Explore the islands on two wheels! Scenic drives are fun, but scenic bike rides are magical. Each island offers varied terrain and views, too. Lopez Island is known for its easy, rolling hills and farmland, Orcas Island has multiple challenging climbs, and San Juan Island has a perfect blend of both. We have complimentary bikes that you’re welcome to borrow, or for more serious riding you can rent them from Meat Machine Bicycles in Friday Harbor.
- Summer is prime time to see the stunning purple rows of lavender at Pelindaba Lavender Farm. Don’t forget to try a bit of lavender ice cream while you’re there!
Are you looking for even more things to do in the San Juan Islands? We offer our guests full concierge service and are happy to help you arrange any number of tours, excursions, and experiences for the duration of your stay.
The Best Friday Harbor Lodging
At the end of the day, there’s nothing better than returning to the Tucker House Inn or the Harrison House Suites, where you can put your feet up and sink into sumptuous accommodations. We’re within walking distance to the ferry terminal, and all of Friday Harbor is very walkable as well, including top restaurants like our own Coho Restaurant.
Our great location isn’t the only reason to stay at our San Juan Island Bed and Breakfast, though. We offer upscale lodging, a broad range of high-end amenities, and attentive service that you won’t find anywhere else. The Tucker House Inn offers 7 beautiful guest rooms, while the Harrison House Suites offers more spacious suites and roomy cottages that are well-suited to families and groups traveling together.
All accommodations include a freshly made breakfast delivered to your door each morning of your stay. Everything we serve is made from scratch in-house and serves up the perfect fuel for the adventures that lie ahead. Summer is nearly here, and it’s time to plan your getaways. Book your room at the best San Juan Islands Bed and Breakfast today!