Note: We’re celebrating the season with a special #Christmas2020 holiday cookie countdown! We’re offering a wide variety of take-and-bake cookies plus special ready-to-eat breads via the San Juan Islands Food Hub this holiday season. Create the perfect cookie tray at home or send them to friends and family! If you miss the Food Hub deadline to order, call us directly at (360) 378-3587 to place orders until December 18 for pickup December 21-26 or order by December 25 for pickup December 28-January 2.
Palmiers might be one of the most elegant cookies of all. They are so beautiful, flaky, and sweet. These cookies have only three ingredients, yes three! This is the perfect cookie to make if you do not have a lot of time, but you promised to bring a cookie tray to your holiday gathering. Palmiers are made by folding the left and right sides of the puff pastry to the middle, then folding the dough in half again lengthwise, sandwiching the first folds inside. Sliced into individual cookies, this is what gives the palmiers their distinctive “palm” or elephant-ear shape. You can also roll the left and right side of the puff pastry to the middle for a more rounded look. This cookie is best dipped in coffee or tea.
1 sheet store-bought puff pastry, thawed
3 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Roll out puff pastry to 1/4-inch thick. Spread butter evenly across dough and sprinkle with ¼ cup of sugar.
3. Fold the left and the right sides of the dough toward the center. Sprinkle remaining sugar down the middle.
4. Roll the two sides into the middle of the dough. You should be left with a long log shape.
5. Chill for 30 minutes so that dough firms up. It will be easier to slice this way and retain its shape.
6. When ready to bake, using a sharp knife cut 18, one-inch-wide sections down your roll of dough.
7. Lay your cookies on the baking sheet, spacing them at least 1 inch apart from each other.
8. Bake for 18 minutes or until they have a nice golden-brown color. Let cool completely before enjoying.