A beautiful ferry boat through one of the most scenic parts of the state brings you to San Juan Island, where you can visit the stunningly beautiful Pelindaba Lavender Farm. Gazing at the fields of beautifully hued purple lavender during the summer is wonderful, second only, perhaps, to the aroma that comes from these stunning blooms. The fields at Pelindaba Lavender Farm will be at their peak bloom in late July and early August.
Visiting Pelindaba Lavender Farm is easy when you stay at our Friday Harbor Inns. The Tucker House Inn and Harrison House Suites are situated within walking distance from the Friday Harbor ferry terminal and offer upscale accommodations for a variety of travelers, including those traveling with kids and pets. Book your room at the Tucker House Inn and Harrison House Suites today!
Tour Pelindaba Lavender Farm This Summer
Pelindaba Lavender Farm is just over 6 miles from the Inn, and can easily be reached by both car and bike. The farm is currently open daily for visitors. Once you’ve arrived at Pelindaba Lavender Farm, grab your camera and head to their fields of lavender, where you’re free to roam among these fragrant blossoms. They also have a cutting field, so if you’re there during bloom season you can harvest your own lavender bouquet to take home.
Imagine yourself picnicking under the warmth of the summer sun, surrounded by row after row of fragrant purple lavender. Let us know when you’re heading that way, and we’ll be happy to pack you a picnic to enjoy while you’re there. We do recommend that you add a delicious glass of Pelindaba’s lavender lemonade, though – and maybe even follow it up with the sweet taste of their lavender ice cream.
Before you leave Pelindaba Lavender Farm, make sure to browse their store, The Gatehouse. It’s open Thursday – Monday from 9:30 – 5:30 and features a variety of lavender-based products. Shop for personal skincare, therapeutic essential oils, culinary lavender products, and other things for the home. If you miss their open store hours, don’t worry. They sell their amazing line of products online, too!
Farmers & Artisans of the San Juans
When you’re ready to leave Pelindaba Lavender Farm, a relaxing way to spend the rest of your afternoon is to enjoy a variety of tastings at local wineries, breweries, distilleries, and more. The range of agricultural experiences in the San Juan Islands is extensive and includes trips to farms, farmer’s markets, local artisans, and more. Here are a few of our favorite places to experience this part of the San Juan Island community:
- Go wine tasting at local wineries, including San Juan Vineyard and Madrona Cellars & Ciders.
- Head to San Juan Island Brewing Co. in downtown Friday Harbor. 100% of the beer served here is produced on San Juan Island.
- Sample other spirits and ciders at the San Juan Island Distillery. They produce 14 different gins, several liqueurs, and flavored brandies, such as their award-winning apple brandy.
- For a sweet treat, head to the Friday Harbor Chocolates Tasting Room. All chocolates and confections are handcrafted, and the selection changes often with the invention of new flavors and seasonally available ingredients.
- Visit the San Juan Island Farmers Market on Saturdays at The Brickhouse in downtown Friday Harbor.
- Visit Krystal Acres Alpaca Farm, a 50-acre working farm where you can enjoy a self-guided stroll around the beautiful grounds. They also have a great gift store where you can shop for knitwear, home goods, toys, and gifts.
- Discover fresh and delicious seafood at Westcott Bay Shellfish Co., a working aquaculture farm on San Juan Island. You can either purchase freshly harvested shellfish to take home and cook, or you can enjoy a meal at their Tide Tables restaurant, which overlooks the cultivated tidelands.
Dine Out at the Coho Restaurant in Friday Harbor
What started as a visit to Pelindaba Lavender Farm in the morning, continued as a delightful tour of the farms and artisans on San Juan Island. Continue the theme of the day and enjoy an exquisite dinner at the Coho Restaurant, part of our San Juan Island Inns Collection. It’s located just down the street from The Tucker House and Harrison House Suites and serves up traditional Pacific Northwest Cuisine with a Mediterranean flair. The star of every menu at our Friday Harbor Restaurant is the ingredients that we source from local farmers and our own gardens.
Everything in our kitchen is made from scratch and transformed into a simple yet artful dish. The Coho Restaurant also boasts an award-winning wine cellar. We feature wines from Washington, Oregon, and California, along with a thoughtfully curated selection of international wines, all of which are paired to complement the food. The intimate setting inside our Friday Harbor Restaurant is a wonderful way to end a day exploring the bounty of San Juan Island.
After dinner, return to the comfortable accommodations at either The Tucker House Inn or Harrison House Suites and enjoy a restful night of sleep ahead of your next days’ adventure. Book your room for summer getaways here!