The San Juan Islands are best known for the breathtaking scenery, pristine nature, and abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation. This summer, how about joining us for some San Juan Island hikes? There are some truly incredible opportunities to get out and enjoy some hiking on San Juan Island and the surrounding islands.
With so many wonderful things to see and do in the San Juan Islands this summer, you’ll need a centrally located hub from which to explore it all. That’s exactly what you’ll find at our San Juan Island Bed and Breakfast, located just steps away from the ferry terminal and downtown Friday Harbor. We offer much more than convenience, though.
We pride ourselves on warm and attentive service, luxurious accommodations, exquisite food and wine, and so much more. Here, you’ll find an unparalleled escape in the stunning San Juan Islands. Don’t miss your opportunity to join us this summer for one or more of these San Juan Island hikes. Book your stay with us today!
The Best San Juan Island Hikes
Whether you’re looking for something easy and pretty or challenging and rewarding, there are quite a few San Juan Island hikes to choose from. If you’re willing to hop around to other islands, even more hikes in the San Juan Islands will open up for you!
Here are 5 of our favorite San Juan Island hikes to enjoy this summer:
- One of the most popular places to visit on San Juan Island is Lime Kiln State Park. It’s a great place for whale watching and sightseeing, but it’s also a fun place to hike around! The trail at the park is only 1.25 miles, which makes it one of the easier – though still very enjoyable – San Juan Island hikes. Don’t forget your binoculars on this trip, because the odds of seeing whales from here are pretty good.
- For a great view looking north towards Canada, head to the Young Hill Trail at English Camp National Park. There, you’ll find some gentle climbs through beautiful forest, before coming to a grassy ledge and a stunning view. It’s one of our favorite San Juan Island hikes.
- Take in the views at Cattle Point Lighthouse, which is located at the southernmost tip of the island. Here, you’ll find panoramic views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the distant Olympic Mountains, not to mention views of the lighthouse itself, which has stood here since 1888.
- If you want to enjoy a slightly different view of this same lighthouse, head to Mount Finlayson at the American Camp National Park. This 3.5-mile trail overlooks the Cattle Point Lighthouse and the surrounding grasslands and is one of our favorite San Juan Island hikes, and it also happens to be one of the best birdwatching locations on the island.
- The South Beach Trail, also at the American Camp National Park, is a fairly easy and wonderful trail. At only 2.8 miles total, and well worth your time. It’s a great place to spot wildlife, and there are also several glacial erratics (or boulders) here, that were left behind as the last glaciers retreated.
For even more great San Juan Island hikes, check out the San Juan Transit Page.
More Hikes in the San Juans
Though there are plenty of great San Juan Island hikes to choose from, we’d be remiss not to mention at least some of the more popular hiking trails on neighboring islands. Orcas Island, in particular, is an amazing place to hike. With over 38 miles of hiking trails to explore on one island, it’s no wonder, either!
It’s pretty easy to hop from island to island up here via the interisland ferry. You can find more information about that here. Once you’re ready, here are a few of the best hikes found on neighboring islands:
- Mount Constitution, located in Moran State Park on Orcas Island, offers some of the most breathtaking and rewarding views of the San Juan Islands.
- Another great hike at Moran State Park is the Mountain Lake Trail. From here, you can also access Cascade Falls and Twin Lakes for a truly spectacular day of hiking around the San Juan Islands.
- If you’re looking for a slightly shorter hike, try Turtleback Mountain on Orcas Island.
- Explore Lopez Hill on Lopez Island, commonly referred to as “the heart of the island.”
- Hummel Lake Preserve, also on Lopez Island, is a wonderful place to hit the trails.
The Best Lodging in the San Juan Islands
Adventures abound when you stay with us in the San Juan Islands. Our Island paradise is filled with an incredible range of things to do, not least of which are these San Juan Island hikes mentioned above. However, after many hours of adventure, you’ll be ready to put your feet up and relax at the end of the day. We offer you just the place to do that!
The Tucker House Inn & Harrison House Suites, which are located within walking distance to Friday Harbor, offer luxurious and comfortable accommodations. You’ll have your choice from our delightful range of guest rooms, suites, and vacation cottages, all of which come standard with our exceptional hospitality attentive service.
Each guest room features a range of high-end amenities to compliment your stay. Start your day off every morning of your stay with a delicious multi-course breakfast, made from scratch using local ingredients right here in our kitchen, and delivered fresh to your door. In the evening, the celebration of local food and wine continues at the Coho Restaurant, located just down the street from the Inns. You won’t have to travel far for a delicious and memorable meal!
Finally, retire to the soft, enveloping comfort of your accommodations, where you’ll have an extraordinary night of sleep as you recharge for another days’ worth of adventure ahead. We can’t wait to show you the very best of these San Juan Island hikes this summer. Book your room at the best Luxury Boutique Hotel in Friday Harbor today!