A vacation to San Juan Island is about slowing down—strolls on the beach, kayaking, and relaxing with a good book. However, these activities are all made better with a little bit of wine, and San Juan Vineyards is a lovely place to start. Set back in the idyllic countryside, this local winery is a gem for tasting the estate-grown, award-winning wines out in the fresh island air.
The San Juan Islands are a part of the Puget Sound American Viticulture Area (AVA). It’s a cooler climate AVA, which can make grape cultivation a bit more of a process than our warmer climate AVAs on the easter side of Washington. Due to this, the majority of western Washington wineries obtain fruit grown on the eastern side of the Cascades. San Juan Vineyards uses a combination of their own island-grown varietals and some grown in their vineyards in the Columbia Valley.
Before planning your wine tasting itinerary on San Juan Island, you’ll want to get your lodging on the books. The Tucker House Inn and Harrison House Suites is a small, locally-owned Inn Collection in Friday Harbor. Our selection of cozy guest rooms and multiple-room suites are ideal for a quiet island getaway filled with all of the peaceful activities the San Juan Islands represent. Check out our upcoming availability and book your next stay today!
San Juan Vineyards & More Island Wineries
You’ll find so many great activities on the San Juan Islands, and adding a mini-wine tasting tour is an excellent addition. We’ve found the best schedule is to head out for a tasting at San Juan Vineyards first, then head back to Friday Harbor for more island vino. For those who want to island-hop for wine, the neighboring Orcas Island is home to a couple of great options.
Wineries on San Juan Island:
- San Juan Vineyards: This Washington winery grows two cool-climate varietals, Siegerrebe and Madeleine Angevine, for their estate-grown wines—they also partner with some eastern Washington wineries for their big blend: The Cattle Point Red. The tasting room located in a renovated 1895 schoolhouse is surrounded by the 30-acre vineyard, rolling green hills, and has lovely outdoor seating for a self-guided flight or a glass.
- Madrone Cellars: The tasting room for this boutique winery is right downtown in Friday Harbor. You’ll find intimate seating inside, with a quiet, outdoor wine garden out back for a flight of their European-style wines or hard cider made from local island apples. They also offer beautiful meat and cheese boards with local products and accompaniments.
- San Juan Cellars: The Island Wine Company is a quaint wine shop (with local and international finds) right off the ferry landing in Friday Harbor and the only place you’ll find bottles of San Juan Cellars. This Washington wine is made from grapes grown in Eastern WA and by the esteemed Pacific Northwest winemaker Rob Griffin. Swing into the shop to taste these crisp whites and bold red blends.
- Archipelago Wine: You can book a private tasting of these locally made natural wines at the production facility in Friday Harbor. Thankfully, we often feature these bubbly gems on our wine list at Coho Restuarant as well. These sparkling wines are made with low intervention, meaning each bottle in itself is one-of-a-kind.
Wine Tasting on Orcas Island:
- Orcas Island Winery: Pop on the ferry over to Orcas Island and head to this modern farmhouse tasting room and wine garden nestled at the foot of Turtleback Mountain. You’ll find up to ten locally produced wines featuring reds, whites, rosé, and natural sparkling wines, known as pétillant natural, at the tasting room.
- Doe Bay Wine Company: This bottle shop and tasting room is an excellent stop on Orcas for a wine tasting. They offer a selection of local Washington wines and international finds for your cellar.
Ask our knowledgeable Innkeepers about the best itinerary for adding a wine tasting adventure at San Juan Vineyards to your trip!
Luxury Lodging for your San Juan Island Getaway
After swirling and sipping your way through the San Juan Vineyards varietals catalog, head on back to our Inn for a cozy afternoon relaxing before heading out for dinner in Friday Harbor. Coho Restaurant is just two blocks from our San Juan Island Bed and Breakfast, where the culinary team follows the same practices that we embrace at the Tucker House Inn & Harrison House Suites. You’ll find farm-to-table dining, scratch-made elements, and the freshest local produce and proteins for an elegant fine dining meal. And, of course, a wine list featuring local wineries like San Juan Vineyards and more.
We can’t wait to host you in the San Juan Islands; book your next getaway today!