The San Juan Island Sculpture Park is an open-air art gallery, set on 20-acres with more than 150 sculptures and art installations placed along pretty garden pathways. The goal here is to fuse the beauty of nature with the talent of local artists and create an accessible space for guests of all ages to enjoy. Visitors can stroll along the five marked trails with works hiding around every corner and explore a lovely natural pond in the center of the park with a loop traversing the outside.
Each year, the San Juan Island Sculpture Park welcomes more than 40,000 visitors from all around the globe. As you enter the park, you’ll see a world map with pinpoints from past visitors—from as far as Iceland and Tasmania. Be sure to add your home location before you set off to look at the sculptures, all of which are available for purchase. Additionally, the park operates entirely on donations and is a community-supported venture.
As a guest at our San Juan Island Inn Collection, you’ll be about a 20-minute scenic drive from the San Juan Island Sculpture Park. It’s located on the Northern end of San Juan, and there a quite a few other worthy attractions to include on your day trip to this side of the island. Join us in one of the most beautiful places in the Pacific Northwest and book your next vacation today!
Explore the San Juan Island Sculpture Park & More
The San Juan Island Sculpture Park reviews often include words like whimsical, magical, and delightful. And one thing that all visitors agree on: you will spend more time here than you think! The thoughtful placement of these sculptures of all shapes and sizes creates the feeling of a curated outdoor art gallery—an open-air nature museum dedicated to the talented artists of this community.
Here are five things not to miss at the San Juan Island Sculpture Park:
- The works displayed at the park are diverse and ever-changing. As pieces are purchased, they are replaced with other artists’ work. You’ll see a lot of skilled metal and woodwork, sizeable carved stone, and hand-molded ceramics. For those on the hunt for the perfect outdoor sculpture, this might be the place for your next treasure.
- There are several interactive exhibits at the San Juan Island Sculpture Park, but the Friendship Totem is one not to miss. Designed by Danny James, park visitors are encouraged to add their own touch to the installation, either by engraving their initials or name and the date of the visit. In 2016, the central pole had already accrued 12,000 signatures, so a grouping of smaller totems was added to make more room.
- Overall, this is a very family-friendly outing, but specifically, kids love the Starfish Project at the park. It consists of a large sandbox area with natural objects (shells, driftwood, and floats) for little ones to create their own sculptures.
- There are five clearly marked trails at the San Juan Island Sculpture Park. The more than 150 sculptures are spread out across the 20 acres, and visitors often explore all of the trails. If you begin on the Forest Path, this will also connect you to the Nature Trail and Bay Trail, bridging back to the Pond Loop and the Field Path. All told, the length of the trails is about a mile. However, people often double back and weave through the different pathways to see as many sculptures as possible.
- The San Juan Sculpture Park is just a matter of minutes from some of the other favorite attractions on this end of the island. English Camp, a national historic park, is a lovely spot for history, hikes, and scenic vistas. Down a wooded path leading through an ancient cemetery, you’ll find the John S. McMillin Memorial Mausoleum, an enchanting memorial to the prominent island figure. You’ll also be right by Roche Harbor for stunning views of the marina.
The Best San Juan Island Lodging for your Getaway
There are so many hidden gems like the San Juan Island Sculpture Park to discover on this beautiful archipelago in the Northwest. Thankfully, you’ll find the absolute best island lodging at the Tucker House Inn & Harrison House Suites. Our cozy guest rooms and spacious suites are ideal for any getaway style—a quick weekend trip, leisurely vacation, or even a solo retreat to reset or get a bit of work done.
One of the primary amenities that sets us apart from other island Bed and Breakfasts is our personalized concierge service. As expected, our knowledgeable Innkeepers are always available to you during your trip, but we’re also here for any questions that might come up before your vacation. Feel free to reach out—we always love to offer recommendations for hikes, bike rides, and beaches, and we’re happy to book your whale watching tours, kayaking trips, and other island adventures.
Check out our upcoming availability and book your next stay today!