On the northwest end of San Juan Island, you’ll find a host of things to do at Roche Harbor—a quiet sheltered inlet with some of the most quintessential northwest scenes. Hundreds of sailboats moored at the marina, with old brick walkways and emerald green forests surrounding the calm waters. Roche Harbor is a great place to park your car and head out on the ten miles of trails in this area.
You’ll want to set at least a half day aside to explore all of the things to do at Roche Harbor. From strolling the marina to hiking to the top of Mount Young, slurping oysters, and tasting locally distilled spirits, you’ll have an action-packed day trip itinerary on this side of San Juan Island. As a guest at our premier San Juan Island Bed and Breakfast, Tucker House & Harrison House Suites, you’ll be a scenic 20-minute drive to all the best things to do at Roche Harbor.
Our Inn Collection in Friday Harbor is your ideal lodging choice for your San Juan Island getaway. Steps from the ferry landing, you’ll be able to spend most of your time exploring on foot or borrow one of our complimentary bike rentals. Our guest rooms and suites are all unique, some layouts perfect for a cozy romantic getaway, while others serve as the ideal home base for your family vacation (dog family included!) And on top of all that, enjoy a beautiful scratch-made breakfast delivered to your door each morning.
We can’t wait to host you on San Juan Island! Book today.
The Best Things to do at Roche Harbor
As you arrive at this gorgeous marina, soak up the quiet as you gaze across the tranquil waters. If you’re lucky, you’ll spot some wildlife gliding through the harbor, as whale-watching is a popular pastime here.
Here are our favorite things to do at Roche Harbor:
- Stroll the Docks and Shops: One of the first things to do at Roche Harbor is to take in the picturesque marina. Head out on the dock system over the glassy water, where you’ll see some of the most spectacular boats and yachts anchored. Grab a latte and a treat at Beechtree Espresso during the summer months, and then check out the adorable local boutiques for gifts, liquors, and apparel.
- Lunch at Westcott Bay Shellfish Company: While there are a few fantastic Roche Harbor restaurants to check out (Lime Kiln Cafe, McMillin’s Dining Room, and Madrona Bar and Grill), one of our favorite lunch spots for oysters on the half shell, steamed mussels, and creative sandwiches is Westcott Bay. As a working shellfish farm, you’ll only have the freshest harvest and a great selection of crisp whites and roses to pair with your meal.
- A Tasting at San Juan Island Distillery: Pop by this locally owned distillery for a flight of these small batch ciders and spirits from apples grown on San Juan.
- The Roche Harbor Trail System: There are ten miles of trails in this area of the island connecting Mt. Young and American Camp. You’ll weave through beautiful forests and rocky coastlines. Along the route, be sure to check out the McMillin Mausoleum. You’ll come upon this haunting memorial in the woods; that is one of the exciting things to do at Roche Harbor.
- San Juan Island Sculpture Park: A lovely hidden gem, the San Juan Island Sculpture Park showcases more than 150 sculptures and outdoor art installations from local artists. The San Juan Island Sculpture Park welcomes more than 40,000 visitors from around the globe annually.
Charming Island Lodging at our San Juan B&B
The Amethyst Chain room (pictured above) is an excellent choice for your next romantic getaway with a deluxe feather-topped queen bed. You’ll notice the Victorian charm throughout with angled ceilings, exposed brick, and luxurious appointments. The en suite bath is equipped with a two-person jetted tub and separate shower—and always set up with our handmade soaps and shampoos. The windows look out on your lovely garden property.
San Juan Island is such a perfect destination all year round for your next getaway. From all of the things to do at Roche Harbor, Friday Harbor, and the local state parks and natural areas, you can be as busy as you want to be. But be sure to set aside time for relaxation—that’s where our San Juan Island B&B comes in. Book today!