We always recommend heading out on the water during your time on the islands. There’s a host of local companies offering San Juan Island kayak tours to explore and discover this beautiful part of the world. The quiet seas and straits surrounding the San Juan Islands are ideal for beginner paddlers, but even the most experienced kayakers love it here. The pristine inlets and coves, the abundance of wildlife, and the stunning coastlines create a magical atmosphere for gliding along the Salish Sea.
The most challenging part is picking which of the San Juan Island kayak tours best fits your vision. Thankfully, these boating experts offer an array of options, from half-day or full-day tours, excursions focused on whale watching, nighttime bioluminescence tours, and multi-day adventures including camping island-style. Whichever you choose, you’ll see some fantastic wildlife and learn a lot about this amazing archipelago.
For those planning a trip to San Juan Island for kayaking adventures, there’s no better place to make your home base than our San Juan Island Inn Collection in Friday Harbor. You’ll find a lodging option to fit every need—romantic rooms for two or larger layouts for families and pets. As a guest, take advantage of our on-site concierge; we’re here to help you sift through the San Juan Island kayak tours and offer advice for the best choice that works with your vacation.
Check out our upcoming availability and book today!
Head out on these San Juan Island Kayak Tours
We recommend planning your adventure with one of these five local companies offering San Juan Island kayak tours in Friday Harbor. Always let them know you’re staying with us at the Tucker Hill House or Harrison House Suites, as we’re all connected in this small island community.
- Outdoor Odysseys: As a longtime touring company on San Juan Island, this group has hosted more than 100,000 paddlers during their 35 years on the water. They offer half-day tours of the Haro Strait, Griffin Bay, or evening bioluminescent options, as well as multi-day and specialty tours.
- Crystal Seas Kayaks: For those with whale-watching on their mind, this local group offers San Juan Island kayak tours with the hopes of getting a glimpse of these stunning marine mammals. The dedicated and knowledgeable naturalist guides will help you spot the birds and wildlife.
- San Juan Outfitters: Whether by your own paddle power or aboard the MV Sea Lion 40 Passenger boat, this touring group offers the promise of an Orca sighting or two. The kayaking tours range from three to five hours in Roche or Friday Harbor.
- Discover Sea Kayaks: If you’re looking for half-day, full-day, or even multi-day tours, the company has you covered. In fact, Discover Sea Kayaks is honored to be voted the best outfitter in the world by National Geographic magazine.
- Sea Quest: From morning, noon, and night this stalwart group offers San Juan Island kayak tours to fit every skill and experience level. For those really wanting to experience the “kayak life” for a stint, head out on the five-day camping and paddling excursions. Our San Juan Island Bed and Breakfast will be a welcome reprieve after roughing it in the wild.
For more details on the tours these companies offer, head over to our comprehensive guide on all things kayaking.
The Best San Juan Island Lodging in Friday Harbor
We aim to please all of our guests; whether you’re on the island for San Juan Island kayak tours, to explore by bike, or discover Friday Harbor on foot, we have the ideal location for your stay. You’ll quickly see why your first visit often isn’t your last. Here’s a fantastic five-star review on TripAdvisor:
“Beautiful suite, nicely appointed, and very clean. The Lopez Suite was perfect for our family of four. Beds are super comfortable and bedding was like a cloud. Hot breakfast delivered to door was delicious: hot biscuits, eggs, gravy, with homemade granola and yogurt parfait, juice, and coffee. French champagne, cookies, and gorgeous flower arrangement made my birthday super special. Definitely worth the splurge. Staff was accessible and very nice.” –Sarah P.
We couldn’t have said it better ourselves. Join us for your next adventure in the San Juan Islands and book today!