While a big part of heading up to the San Juan Islands is about slowing down and relaxing, there’s so much to explore! For example, you’ll find so many exciting things to do on Lopez Island—our neighboring quiet island to the east. You’ll want to make San Juan Island your home base for your northwest adventures, though (more dining and lodging options), but Lopez Island is the perfect day trip by ferry.
One of the best places to stay on San Juan Island is the Tucker House Inn and Harrison House Suites. As a premier San Juan Island Inn Collection, we offer an array of overnight accommodations to fit all varieties of getaways. Whether you’re searching for a romantic space for two, a multiple-room suite for a family trip, or even a quiet spot for a solo retreat—we’ve got an option for you. Plus, you’ll be treated to a beautiful, scratch-made breakfast delivered to your door each morning of your stay!
The Best Things to do on Lopez Island
To best explore all of the things to do on Lopez Island, you’ll want to set aside a whole day for your travels and outdoor adventures. This island in the San Juan archipelago is known as the “Friendly Isle” as it’s tradition for drivers to wave to other cars and passersby from their vehicles. Though one of the best ways to explore Lopez is by bike, you’ll want to think about your transportation options before you begin planning.
Here are the top things to do on Lopez Island on a day trip:
- Shopping and Cafes at Lopez Village: As the commercial hub of the island by Fisherman Bay, you’ll find quaint shops, specialty boutiques, cafes, and local art galleries to visit.
- Dine at Ursa Minor: Perhaps the most recognized fine dining restaurant on Lopez Island, Chef Nick Coffey is no stranger to the list of James Beard nominations. The seafood-focused menu offers diners a taste of the Salish Sea and the nearby farms—dining here is by far one of the best things to do on Lopez Island.
- Lopez Island Brewing Company: You’ll find the tasting room for the local brewery dubbed the Brewvado Tap Room at Lopez Village. Head here to enjoy a Lopezian Pale Ale, and they often have a food truck serving up delicious cheesy poutine—the perfect savory snack to pair with their tasty ales.
- Hike to Shark Reef Sanctuary: Known as one of the hidden gems on the west side of Lopez Island, this 10-minute hike through the woods opens on a rocky shoreline with breath-taking views of San Juan Island from afar; look for the Cattle Point Lighthouse off in the distance.
- Spencer Spit State Park: This 138-acre marine state park is a popular camping destination, as it can be easily reached by car. The park’s highlight is a sand spit enclosed by a salt-chuck lagoon, ideal for kayaking, clamming, and tide-pooling.
- Iceberg Point: For spectacular views facing the Olympic Penisula, this three-mile loop hike is well worth your time. You’ll pass by some magically shaped trees for climbing and interesting cliffs and may spot some orcas whales passing through the Strait.
For more tips on the best things to do on Lopez Island and recommendations for transportation, please feel free to ask our knowledgeable and personable innkeepers and staff.
Stay at our San Juan Island Bed and Breakfast
Since we’ve been waxing poetic about all of the great things to do on Lopez Island, it seems only fitting to profile one of our favorite lodging accommodations: The Lopez Suite. You’ll watch the ferry dock and seaplanes float from the picture windows into the Friday Harbor Marina. This spacious upper-level suite is ideal for a family of four (but could fit up to six), a couples retreat, or a girl’s weekend getaway. The living area with a fully appointed kitchen, barbecue, and exquisite views is the best place to chill with a glass of wine in the evenings and reset for the next day’s adventure.